April 13, 2011

They get me...

For some reason, I get a kick out of moments when the kids really "get" me.  Like when we're defining "hyperbole" and I say, "I use hyperbole all the time" (did you catch that??  it's a hyperbole!), to which the students unanimously respond, "Yes, you do." 

I want to grow something this summer.  I don't have a yard.  Or a pot.  Or potting soil.  Or a spade.  Or whatever those garden tools are called.  But I want to grow something

So all you gardeners out there, what should I grow?  I'm willing to make a small investment.  Perhaps buy a pot.  And some soil.  And a spade.  Or whatever those garden tools are called. 

What shall it be?  What would be easiest?  Pro:  my mother has a green thumb.  Con:  my mother lives 80 miles away. Low-maintenance, people, low-maintenance. 

Peppers?  Cucumbers?  Lettuce?  Do tell.  Please. 

Sometimes I think this is how the students view me:
Awkward.
Without a life.
Friendless.
Uninteresting.
Mildly creepy.
Spastic. 

I don't mind numbers 1 and 6, but the descriptions in the middle are the ones that really bother me.  And there's truth to the fact that students think teachers eat, breathe, and sleep at school.  Sometimes there's legitimate truth to the belief, but hopefully my life is healthily balanced. 

Back to gardening....seriously, now. 

What should I grow?
Just out my window
To grace my patio

The rhyming!  Make it stop!  But it's sooooo awesome. 

Like a G6.

2 comments:

  1. Get one of those topsy turvy things to grow tomatoes... that would be REAL G6 like. :P K, maybe not. Flowers are nice. Cucumbers are tasty. I think peppers may be pretty easy. Granted, I havent grown them, but my mom has - in a pot, on the porch, without much labor. And they are yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes. Roma tomatoes. Those little pear-shaped yellow tomatoes. :-) Once you grow them in on your own, the ones in the store just won't compare. And I think you can grow them in a pot...

    p.s. Did I spell "tomatoes" right? I wrote it so much the word is starting to look funny.

    ReplyDelete