April 18, 2011

Sick Day

I took a sick day today.  It was...interesting.  I have never taken a sick day from anything work-related.  I tend to be a workaholic, so it wasn't all bad for me to step away from work for a day.  I may have made myself even more sick thinking about how my students were doing today. 

A good reminder today:  the world does not revolve around me.  As far as I know, WRHS functioned just fine in the midst of my absence.  My kids are resilient, so I'm sure they're hardly wounded as a result of my absence today.

Nearly every week, I preach to my kids about how life is all about perspective.  I think I've even mentioned that on the blog.  Anywho, I took a dose of my own medicine today.  My attitude has been, at best, crappy in regards to my job.  I've found the silliest little things to complain about.  And poor, poor Daniel has been the recipient of nearly all my complaints.  But today, I missed my kiddos.  Don't get me wrong, it was good to be away from them for an extra day.  However, they are my kiddos and I love them to death. 

Yes, they make me want to pull out my hair every 15 minutes.  Yes, I regularly question the calling on my life.  Yes, they drive me nuts.  But they are mine and they are also perfect, sweet, darling kids who just want to fit in, be loved, and prove to the world that they are worth something.  Well, they are worth something to me.  They are worth a lot.  And I'm excited to see them tomorrow.  And if you've had a conversation with me in the past week, you know that I've been seriously lacking passion of any kind. 

So tomorrow I'll go back here:
And I will smile
And I will see all 130 of my students as people
And I will tell awesome jokes. 
And they will ROTFL (roll on the floor, laughing, of course). 
And it will be the best day this month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment