April 6, 2011

Power

I spent all day in a computer lab.  Best part?  There's one of those teacher computers that I can see exactly what each student is doing.  Bwahaha. 

So I looked.  Sent a few "get back to work" messages.  Blocked a few from the internet (oddly satisfying - they would turn around, see me smiling, and get the hint).  I used my powers to the full extent.  And it felt nice.  Like a power trip that was okay to have.

It was 80 degrees in the computer lab.  Yikes.  25+ students in a hot computer lab=interesting smells.

My motivation from 6:45 am to 3 pm was about 12/10.  My motivation from 3 pm until I left was about 1/10.  It is a good thing the rest of the day was productive.

Someday this kid will be in school.  And it will make me smile.
It astounds me that we only have a few weeks of school left.  Astounding.  I've been reflecting all year, but I'm sure I'll get pretty sappy-reflective in the coming weeks.  Here's yours truly on the first day of school.  Poor girl.  She had no idea what she was doing...
And some days, she still doesn't.

Oprah has a column at the end of her magazine every month that is called "What I Know for Sure."  It's been suggested that she change it to "What I Know for Now." 

So here's what I know for now:
  • Most days, I enjoy my job
  • I need to be more patient
  • I need to remember that my classroom isn't the real world.  The real world is everything that happens just outside of my classroom.
  • I need to take myself (and my students) less seriously
  • I love asparagus
  • I'm sometimes tech-savvy (today I almost lost all my students' annotated bibliographies due to a tech glitch...good thing I sometimes know what I'm doing)
  • If every student had an i-pad, my life would rock.  So much.
Breaking out a freezer meal tonight.  Not because I got home late and am too tired, but because I can.

Enough rambles.  Tomorrow is Thursday...the best day of the week. 

4 comments:

  1. THursday is the best day of the week because:
    1. It's an anticipation...
    2. it's Cosby and Family Ties night (yes, I'm a child of the 80's)
    3. you can stay up late Thursday night because the next day will be Friday which is practically the weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie is correct, except for #2. It's Friends and Survivor night, of course.

    ReplyDelete