March 31, 2011

Birthday Reflections: Part 1

The hubs made me breakfast this morning.  Super yum.  My facebook wall is littered...in a good way.  Some people I have never said a real word to in my life wrote on my wall (is that a sentence??).  And that makes me smile.  Bazillions (exaggeration, duh) of texts and calls.  My broseph even called me on my work phone.  What a treat.

Also, today is apparently Robert Bunsen's 200th birthday.  And Al Gore's, I think.  We will all celebrate together.  Common sense tells me that Mr. Bunsen invented the Bunsen burner.  Scientific friends, is this correct?

Here's a funny.  On our birthdays, we are celebrated.  However, we have no recollection of our birthday.  We should celebrate the birthing machines (aka the mamas, sorry if that is offensive...I think it's funny) that helped us into this world.  Like this pretty lady:
Thanks, mom.  That day, many years ago, you did a good thing.  And thanks, dad, for your assistance as well. (insert happy face)

What a sweet day.  Favorite student quotes from today (note:  I've never told them my age...as if they have no idea...):
  • "You look real pretty today, Mrs. Carlson."
  • "You don't look a day over 30."
  • "How old are you today?  18?"
  • "You've got to be in your twenties."
  • "Happy birthday, Mrs. Carlson!" (cliche, I know, but it was real special to hear it so many times)
  • "Why didn't you tell us sooner that your birthday is today!?"
  • "I forgot your card at home."
  • "Do you want us to sing to you?"
  • "I hope you have a great birthday, Mrs. Carlson."
  • "Thank you and happy birthday!" (I gave them candy in celebration of the day...)
Sigh.  So lovely.   And they were all so good today!  So good.  And they made me laugh. And they made me cry.  One kiddo who sometimes gives me trouble helped another kid...and I didn't even ask him to!  It was ridiculously cool.  Guess you had to be there...

I got some flowers today.  From my hubs, of course.  They made me smile.
And just because it has been suggested that I show some pics of the place where I spend the majority of my time, here it is:
Perhaps I will give a tour of the room at some later time.  Perhaps.

So thanks, faithful blog readers, for making my day happy.  Love you all.  Now I'm going to go eat some ridiculously delicious Italian (or as Daniel says, "I(long I)taileeeea(nasal a)nnn") delicacies. 

God is good, and I am blessed. 

3 comments:

  1. Heidi - I just love the things your students said! :-) So wonderful, and funny!
    Happy Birthday, friend! I am glad to hear it was a good day!

    ps - love your classroom! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that you too think the birthee/birthor focus is skewed on BirthDAYS! I called a friends mom once on friends birthday. I told her thank you for going through all the effort...

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I thought of you many times yesterday! Looks like it was a good day!

    ReplyDelete