January 15, 2011

Saturday Goodness

Today is going to be a lazy day, and I love it.  Tonight we're headed to a friend's house for dinner, and I am to bring dessert.  I found this recipe:  http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/desserts/molten-chocolate-cake/  And I'm pretty sure it's going to rock my world.  Now if only someone would go to the store for me...

Our apartment is currently a disaster, so I'm sure at some point today, someone will be cleaning it up.  Last night as I surveyed the damage of the week, Daniel pointed out to me that we needed to clean.  I suggested that we clean together, and he reminded me that 90% of the mess is mine.  It's true.  We've figured out that I tend to explode when I walk in the house.  Don't know why.  Always have.  Right, mom?  I walk in the door, take off my shoes on the conveniently-placed towel to avoid dragging snow through the baby-sized apartment, drop my lunch bag on the counter (unpacked, mind you), drop my "Teach to Reach" bag (my daily school-bag), take off my coat and scarf and fling them wherever I want, and hang up my keys and name badge.  I live in fear that some day, I will misplace my name badge, thus making it impossible for anyone to recognize me as a staff member.  Therefore, I guard that puppy with my life and, unlike anything else in the apartment, I always know where it is.  Strange...

Sometimes I don't understand myself.  My classroom (or at least my desk) is nearly always pristine.  I would pull my hair out if, in the midst of everything, my home away from home was a disaster.  My kitchen is normally clean.  It's at least never dirty, but it may be messy sometimes (like right now, gross).  However, the rest of our apartment fluctuates.  When it starts getting messy, I just let it go until (a) someone is coming over or (b) I can't find a shoe.  Then, when the cleaning commences, everything must find a home.  I'm notorious for asking Daniel to put away the one thing that is his while I wade in the piles of my own junk.  Any psychology majors out there want to contribute to the reason behind the problem?  I only majored in psych for a year, so I've exhausted all my potential solutions. 

Happy weekend, friends.

1 comment:

  1. Heidi, dear. I have an explanation for you...I don't know if it's based on any theory...but here goes:
    Your school room is spotless and organized because that is where you thrive, it is the professional you.
    However, when you arrive home, you let loose...so does it really matter where your coat, shoes, papers, etc end up? No. Because you are home. Free to relax, let loose, be yourself. Thus, the mess.

    There's no true NEED to be organized and clean in your home...it's your space, where you can be exactly who you need to be always.

    Hope that helps.
    I greatly enJoy reading your posts. Keep writing 'em. ;)

    ReplyDelete