January 9, 2011

Revelation of the Day

When I talk to my teacher friends, we often share ideas for lesson plans, projects, essays, etc.  After sharing said ideas, our typical responses are, "That's cool!" or "That sounds fun!" or "What an awesome idea!"  As I've been planning my current units (Picture Bride for my sophomores and To Kill a Mockingbird for my freshmen), I'm realizing that what educators think is "cool," "fun," or "awesome" does not mean the same thing to the kiddos.  Hmm... 

Kids love school because of the social aspect.  How can I accommodate their need to be socialized while also teaching them what they need to be taught?  How can I reconcile my definitions of "cool," "fun," and "awesome" to their definitions of the same words?  How can my teaching be relevant, refreshing, and enlightening while also being applicable to the standards? 

Oh Sunday afternoons, how I loathe and love you...

2 comments:

  1. I mean..I think I might even have different definitions....:) Glad to be an audience to your life. Keep it up, kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Round table discussion! Totally support it!

    ReplyDelete