January 13, 2011

The fight that almost wasn't...

While in my classroom during passing period (shhhh, I'm supposed to be in the hall at that time, but I was doing some last-minute prep work...I'm a first year teacher...enough said), I heard what sounded like the beginning of a riot.  A few students in my room said, "Oh dang, you better go break it up."  Thus began the most awkward 30 seconds of my...day (again - first year teacher = regular awkward moments). 

As I walked outside, I saw the usual group of rowdies at their usual post.  However, I also saw more and more babies [students, of course (explanation as to why I call them "babies" to come later)] joining in on the festivities.  I looked around hoping to see one of the 7 male teachers in my area.  No such luck.  I felt as if I had no other choice, so I pulled up my big-girl pants and decided to intervene. 

I walked into the riot of babies [but really, there were at least 20 linebacker-sized (isn't that the biggest football position?)] boys huddled around a few in the middle.  With as much authority as I could muster, I hollered, "Gentlemen, break it up!  Get to class, now!"  Instead of invoking fear in the faces of the babies, several just looked at me as if I was an alien (a typical occurrence - I even cut my hair to stop being confused for a student!  Ugh.).  So I said again, "NOW gentlemen.  Get going." 

At that point, some sweet baby piped up and said, "But he's rapping!"  And it was true.  Gulp.  Oh dang.  Crap.  I have failed.  I am an alien.  I must retreat.  Fast.  However, the bell was about to ring, so I figured I had time on my side.  I reminded them again to get to class, and the riot slowly subsided. 

While observing the remainder of the "fight," (with arms crossed, of course), a male teacher from the area arrived on the scene (why, oh why just now?!).  He said, "Was something going on here or were they just being loud?"  Dangit.  He caught me.  Not wanting to feel entirely stupid, I responded, "Oh they were just being loud and they needed to get to class."  Totally convincing.

I returned to my classroom feeling entirely ridiculous and wishing I had responded in a different way.  Oh well.  Teaching is funny.  Babies (students) are funny.  They should be given more credit.  They regularly knock my socks off and make me (in their lingo) ROTFL (roll on the floor laughing, of course).  Love it.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Story! Keep these down. These are the things that make books in years to come.

    ReplyDelete