January 12, 2011

bits of my mind

Today was the first day back after 2 glorious snow days.  To reflect the discombobulation of the week, here are some random thoughts...

The students are turning orange.  Literally.  To some of them, I want to say, "Sweeties, stop that dang tanning.  Now."

I have been told by 2 students that I need to work on my sense of humor.  Not sure if I should be offended or flattered - my sense of humor is obviously leagues above that of an adolescent...

Daniel just said he liked tonight's meal.  We had salad.  I asked for that statement in writing.  He will not grant my request.

My newest favorite show is "Brothers & Sisters."  I literally tear up every time we watch an episode.  So good.

Sweet moment of the day:  I had to write a referral, and as I was explaining the reason to the student, she became visibly (but not dramatically) upset.  We were able to chat about it, and I was able to offer her some grace and minimize the punishment.  Instances such as that are difficult and wonderful for me.  I love showing grace to the students, but I don't want to be a pushover.  However, knowing what I know about this sweet girl, it was a beautiful moment of repentance on her behalf and grace-offering on mine.  Love love love being Jesus to those kiddos.  Some days I do okay while other days I go home knowing that I was not an example of Christ.  Oh to be in the minds of my kiddos on both types of days...

Need a good book suggestion.  I know, I'm an English teacher and I should have a million books at my disposal.  I do, but sometimes I just need to be pointed in a certain direction.  Ideas??

5 comments:

  1. I enjoy your blog Heidi.


    Book suggest: One I liked in high school was Tess of the d'urbervilles. Theres a lot of drama, but it sure kept my attention. Other than that, I can't recall many that I read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. H, I'm all about the Chick Lit. Sophie Kinsella is my favorite and her Shopaholic series is to die for. Such great reads with fashion and British humor as the forefront.
    I've also just started reading Emily Giffin, the author of Something Borrowed and series. Glad you're blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi...I second Kassie's comment. Love your blog. :)

    One of my favorite books that I read in high school was 1984 by George Orwell. It's definitely challenging, but every so enlightening too.

    Are you wanting a book suggestion for your own reading pleasure as well? Or just school?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great suggestions, friends. I will def look into these. Tina, I'm looking for pleasure reads - I have enough to read for school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. another pleasure read could be the "Mennonite in a Little Black Dress." So funny.

    ReplyDelete