January 8, 2011

I feel old.

Last night, Daniel and I stole away for a night on the town (AKA:  a Washburn Rural High School home basketball game).  As soon as we entered the packed gym, I knew we would have a difficult time finding a seat.  I glanced quickly through the stands and found a student of mine.  He made eye contact with me, but immediately looked away.  I thought that if I could just catch his eye, I could ask him if the seats in front of him were saved.  To no avail.  He refused to look my way.  Strange.  I thought I had a good relationship with him.

Anywho...so I walked to where he was sitting and asked if the seats were saved.  He didn't really say anything, but he moved his coat.  I motioned to Daniel to join me, and he did so promptly.  I turned to my student and asked (in my very cool, outside-of-school voice), "Hey, how's it goin'?"  That's right.  I left the "g" off of "goin'" to seem like one of them.  Instead of making eye contact with his beloved English teacher and continuing on a lovely conversation, he avoided eye contact at all costs and muttered, "Good."  Lame.  I didn't fight it.  For the first time in my life, I was the uncool "older person" who the "cool" teenager refused to engage in conversation. 

Oh time, it flies fast. 

1 comment:

  1. I think scouting and claiming your seat as a new teacher is HARDER than the same task executed by even the high school Freshman. At least they have a posse to hunt with. You know the students the best. Seasoned teachers already have their spots. You're not a parent. You're not with the band "unless you ARE!!! (Thanks, Toby...) Your power and position you function under in the school building change in different environments...

    ReplyDelete