January 7, 2011

Friday Funnies

While making copies at an inhumane hour this morning, a woman walked into the teacher's lounge and complimented my hair (sweet lady).  However, what happened next disturbed my bubble in a way that has never been done.  The sweet, stranger-danger lady proceeded to touch my hair and asked how I style it.  I think I flinched, but SSD woman did not pick up on the hint.  It was brief, but I felt somewhat violated. 

It made me wonder about my obsession with touching people while I talk to them.  I must do it.  All the time.  Maybe it makes me closer to them.  Or maybe it makes me feel like they really want to hear what I have to say...  Perhaps I should stop this.  Perhaps this makes people feel uncomfortable.  I'll put some more thought to it.


Wish for the weekend:  a snow day on Monday...  Please.  Oh to have a day to sleep in, drink coffee, and read FOR PLEASURE. 

1 comment:

  1. I think i touch people because they don't expect it. So, #1 I think people DO feel closer to you when you touch them. #2 I think in catching people off guard, they do pay attention better #3 I have to be careful I'm not using this manipulatively, and that I really DO care about them.

    Just like Julia in Pretty Woman, I have my standards: I don't touch faces, but I will stroke heads (10 and younger, that is!) I don't scratch or rub backs. I'm a patter. I most often go for the hand squeeze. But I'm not a 'shake my hand or else' greeter. Hmm...odd.

    ReplyDelete