July 20, 2011

Vacay

I went to see my roommate.  No, not Daniel, silly.  Jes!  You should remember her from this lovely time.

She lives here.  It's an itty-bitty town, but it reminds me of Abilene, and, well, we all know how fond I am of that quaint village.

Here's a quick run-down of our glorious 60ish hours together.

We cooked.  Jes cooks real healthy.  I mean real healthy.  I think my body liked it, so, darnit, I should probably change my ways. 
 Nom nom.
 Sibs are fun.  One of Jes' brothers is staying with her for the summer.  Three years ago, I lived with Jes' family for the summer in Wichita, so I occasionally pretend he is my little brother too.  I always wanted a little brother...
 Will is a youth pastor.  I have a special place in my heart for youth pastors since my youth pastors were so instrumental in my upbringing.  Here he is counting off before the kiddos left for camp.

And I wailed because I wanted to go to camp. (Sidenote:  I worked for 2 summers here, so I also have a special place in my heart for all things camp.)
 Instead of holding hands, they do this...and I like it.  It's so dang hot in TX that it was nice to minimize the touching.  Also, germ free!  A major plus.
 Sibs are fun, part 2.
 Jazz is such a supportive wife.  Every time I talk to her, I learn how to be a better wife.  So thanks, Jes, for unknowingly teaching me how to rock out at the whole wife thing like you do. 

 Then Jes and I went to Sonic on our way out of town.  See how shakes now come in silver cups.  Whaaaat!? 
 We ate at the Hula Hut by the lake in Austin.  Super yum.  Super toasty.
 Then we went to see the bats. These are better pictures than what I took.  Go look at them.

Naturally, we saw the pride of the heart of Texas, or something like that, floating down the river.
 Jes took off Monday morning from work (she does really important things for Loadcraft).  It was real special.  I got a really good deal at the airport Hilton ($62 - whaaat!?), so she stayed with me.  We swam, ate a stupidly expensive (but super yum) breakfast, and finished our 60-hour long conversation.  Seriously, we talked the whole time we were together.  And we probably left some things unsaid.  That's how much we talk.  A lot.  And I love it.  She left, and it was sad.  But not super sad because I now know that (1) our friendship will last forevah and (2) we can fly to each other for $139.  Oh yes, it is that cheap. 
 I only brought a carry-on, so that meant I had to fit all my bathroom necessities into a quart-size bag.  And to prove to any nay-sayer who has seen my bathroom tote, I did indeed fit nearly everything I needed into a quart-sized bag.  So proud.
 Jes left at 10 to return to work.  My flight was supposed to leave at 3:45.  So I entertained myself until then.  I had grand ideas about meticulously documenting my time...but I didn't.  I read 2 books, ate airport brisket, and did some high-quality people-watching.  
Reflective thoughts (aka - what I learned while away):
  1. Jes is a lifer.  I love her to death.  We lived together all four years of college, and I would do it all over again the same way if given the option.  I still remember when we met (6 years ago - crazy!).  I had high hopes for our friendship, and it did not disappoint.  We are very different.  But our differences make our friendship so dang special.
  2. Jes is away from her family, and sometimes that makes me sad.  But Jes is so awesome about the whole thing.  She has some super special friends in Brady, and she has learned to be content with where she is.  What a super example.
  3. I need to cook healthier.  
  4. I need a homemade ice cream maker.
  5. Texas loves itself, a lot.  
  6. Kids in Texas are super polite...think "yes, ma'm" kind of polite.  I should teach there.
  7. I really like it that I have stellar girl friends.
So it was a good time.  I think I shall make a repeat trip.  Thanks, Jazzer, for hosting me.  And thanks, Will, for sharing your wife.  She's pretty fun.  And thank you, Jake, for letting me sometimes pretend you're my little brother.  You're pretty neat, too.

PS:  if you clicked on every link in this post, I will award you "Knight of the Blog."  Holla!

No comments:

Post a Comment