June 27, 2011

One Year

 To celebrate the gloriousness of our one year anniversary, Daniel and I decided to drag it out as long as possible.  We began Thursday night by venturing into a far-away land called "West of Topeka." 
 We found our beloved Carlson Road, so naturally, a picture was a must.  Daniel was pretty pumped to be at the corner of Carlson and Stallion.
 On our way back into town, we were determined to stay off well-traveled roads, but we accidentally ended up on a field access road that was not meant for our sweet Dakota.  As you can see, I-70 is directly to our left, but we, of course, refused to travel it.  That is, until this road ended in a corn field.  We pondered traversing the corn field in an attempt to reminisce about the newlyweds, alas, we made a wiser decision.

We spent Friday night with 50% of Topeka's "over 60" population at Red Lobster.  I had coupons.  And we are mildly obsessed with their cheese biscuits.  Yum.  Has anyone been able to successfully copy their recipe?  Do share.  It was an enjoyable eve.

After meeting up with the 'rents and Jules and Peg to do a little gift swap on the morning of our anniversary, we meandered over to the local Daylight Donuts.  Anyone who knows Daniel knows that donuts comprise numbers 2-7 of his favorite foods. 
 It was pretty delish. 
 After some mild yard work (aka trying to nurse my baby cherry tomato plant back to health - why oh why must that plant be the one to die!?), we ventured to Perry Lake for an afternoon of "swimming," napping, magazine-reading, and looking googly-eyed at the adorable pregnant lady also enjoying the day.  (Note:  the latter was done by me only.  However, that does not mean I want a babe of my own.  I'll have 130 new ones in a few months.  They'll do just fine for now.)
 We cleaned up and took off for our next adventure - Row House Restaurant.  Oh em gee.  So yum mee.  Seven courses.  Each will be found in heaven.  At one point I told Daniel that we would need to run through Spangle's drive-thru after dinner because I was convinced the "tasting-size" portion would not be enough.  I was wrong. I was fuh-ull by the end. 
 Ain't it lovely?

We were a tad shocked by the sticker price ($50 a plate by the time you add a drink a person).  Yikes!  But we decided we could swing it every now and again.  So go there.  Tomorrow.  I jk.  You can't.  They're only open Wednesday-Sunday evenings.  Go there Wednesday.  Or Thursday.  Or Friday.  Or...you get the idea.

But don't be like us.  Don't be shocked by the sticker price.  Know that you'll pay a pretty penny.  But it's totally worth it. 
 After enjoying a Sunday afternoon dinner with sweet family, I convinced Daniel to go to an evening jazz concert in the park.  Just a tad reminiscent of Thursday nights in Abilene.  Sweet times. 
 If this isn't absolute relaxation, I don't know what is. 
 He was such a good sport.  I asked him what kind of entertainment he would like to watch, he answered, "A magician."  Only my hubs.

 And finally, here is the gift from my 'rents.  The beginning of my China!  I love it much.  Many, many thanks to moms and dads.  What a special surprise!

This is the salad plate.  Birds!
 And the dinner plate.  Teal!
So come to my house.  Bring a friend.  And I will feed you on my China.  Wahoa!

Overall, we enjoyed the weekend a whole lot.  At one point I realized we were having a "Stay-cation."  I was first introduced to this term by her.  And it fit perfectly for this weekend.

I be loving my hubs, my new China, and my Topeka.  I certainly have a new-found love for the citay.

PS:  I made these this morning.  Um, yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment