June 14, 2011

I'm distracting myself by...

...taking pictures of my favorite kitchen goodies. 

I'm a year into this domestic life, and I think I'm doing okay.  In my okay-ness, I would like to share with you some of my most-used/favs-ever/most helpful tools.

This is my bendybowl.  One word.  Bendybowl.  You can say it like this - ben-dibble - or this - bendy-bool - or be boring and say it like this - bendy bowl.  But I say it like this - bendybowl.  Bendybowl.  So fun.
 I use it to dump dry ingredients in my baby (AKA my beautiful mixer).  And it works like a dream, every time.  And it's bendy.  Like Gumby. 

This is my sifter.  And it's rusty (so her name is Rustay).  Like "Mater" on Cars.  However, my sifter isn't lovably rusty.  She sifted for me once, I washed her in the dishwasher, and she hasn't been the same since.  Sigh.  But I will not throw her away.  35 years from now my grandchildren will use ol' Rustay and say, "Isn't grandmother so thoughtful to keep this all these years so we could use it to make pie crusts and homemade bread just like she did.  Grandmother is the best."  And I will smile and show them the tricks of my trade...that I haven't even learned yet! 
That was weird.  But it made me laugh.  And since I'm alone all day every day, a good laugh is a good thing.  Even if I'm just laughing at something ridiculously ludicrous that no one will think is funny.  Except B.  And maybe my mom.  They think I'm hIlarious. 

Back to reality.

This is my pineapple slicer.  And it is amazing.  It slices the pineapple within the shell (or whatever you call it).  And when you remove the slicer, you have pineapple rounds perfect for pineapple upside-down cake or a classic fruit salad.
 Next you will see an Alaska Ulu.  A beautiful knife from Alaska
 You can use it to chop anything - cilantro, onions, herbs, etc. etc. And it's real sharp.  Real real sharp.  So be careful. 
 The following is hardly interesting.  I bought a mini bacon cooker and a mini cutting board since I often make mini-meals for Daniel and I.  And my kitchen is mini.  When I make a sandwich, it appears that my entire kitchen has just collapsed inside of itself. 
 This is a perfect strainer for small pots of pasta or for rinsing produce.  Not much more to say about it.  But it's so fun.
 I use this to sprinkle powdered sugar on stuff.  Like cookies, brownies, and lemon bars. 
 Oh now this tool is truly fantastic.  Instead of hoisting around a big rolling pin, I use this little guy to roll out pizza dough.  It works like a dream!  I put a bit of EVOO on the dough, dip the pin in it, and it rolls all over the place without sticking.  They also come in plastic. 
 Fun bowl to say #2:  grippybowl.  Grippybowl.  It grips the counter so you can stir without causing a mess. 
 Most people have something like this.  But I love it so much.  Heat-resistance, spatula-like, and acts like a spoon.  Perfect for sweet or savory dishes. 
I'm distracting myself because if I choose to let myself think about the glorious set up nuptials that will occur in 5 days, I think I might weep.  Not because I'm sad.  I couldn't be more elated! My sissy's going to be my sissy!  And my brother is marrying a beautiful, wonderful, intelligent, and awesome little lady.  But my big brother is getting married, and with that come a large range of emotions. 

Tomorrow we head out to begin the celebrations.  Or rather, continue the celebrations:
They are so happy, and I couldn't be happier for them.
Loves.  And cupcakes.  Or blackberry muffins...like I made this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment