May 24, 2011

Oh my little shulehouse...

Please watch Megamind to understand the above reference.  

The day I have been wishing for has finally arrived.  Not because I dislike my job OR because I dislike my students OR because I dislike working.  I'm just tired.  It's been a long year, and it's time for it to come to a close. 

Teaching is hard work.  It takes many hours. 

And I cried many tears.  Perhaps this summer I will write about the infamous first semester 6th hour.  I've got some real doozies to tell. 

I laughed a lot...at myself, at my students, with my students, at myself, you get the idea. 

I planned approximately 360 lessons.  Wowza!  And I remember when planning one lesson was a chore while taking education classes.  Oh I laugh at my younger self.  And I'm sure I'll laugh at my current self sometime soon.

Packed close to 150 lunches. 

Took around 600 bathroom breaks.  I'm a planned person, what can I say...

Graded nearly 1,300 essays.  That's the first time I've added it up.  And it makes me want to vomit just a bit.

Sent/received thousands and thousands and thousands of e-mails.  And that is not an example of hyperbole.

Read each class novel/play 5 times over the course of the unit.

Attempted to love on 130 kiddos every day.

Eagerly anticipated the sweet release that 3:00 brought. 

Like I've mentioned, I like my job.  Like, I like it a lot.  And I can't imagine doing anything else (I would not have said that any earlier than April...).  But it's time for summer. 

Time for sleeping in.

Time for cooking, baking, and general domestic duties.

Time to organize various apartmental areas. 

Time to have energy in the evening.

Time to visit long-lost friends.

Time to reflect.  Ah yes, I love this one. 

So thanks for following me through the craziness of the first year.  Thanks for reading, relating, commenting, and sending the occasional encouraging e-mail.  I truly appreciate it.  I'm sure I'll reflect more.  Feel free to tune in or tune out whilst I reflect.  I'm an outward processor, and you are my "outward."  Many thanks. 

Tonight we're ordering pizza and perhaps watching Grey's Anatomy.  Who am I kidding...we will watch at least 2 episodes of the glorious show.  And I will love the fact that when 9 pm rolls around, I will no longer get that anxious feeling that inevitably makes its presence known on a daily basis. 

Love and cupcakes. 

3 comments:

  1. I am SO GLAD to hear you can finally say that about your job. That feeling, that calling, will settle deeper and deeper into your core as the years go by. TRUST me. And I am SO READY for summer too. Sounds like we have a lot of the same summer plans. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correction: you're going to order pizza, watch your shows get interrupted by weather warnings, and head over to the in-laws' place to duck and cover.

    On a different note, I am thoroughly amazed by how well you handled the challenges of the first year. You survived and changed kids for the better :) Thanks for being there. Glad to see you sticking around for another year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay for summer break! :) enjoy your time off!

    ReplyDelete