December 10, 2012

Kitchen Casualtiees + A Recipe

I dubbed yesterday a "cook as many things as possible for this week" day.  While I was successful, it must be said that there were some casualties along the way.  Among the victims are my right index finger, my nasal passages, and my right groin muscle (my apologies if that is tmi).

We're hosting a portion of our small group Christmas party on Tuesday night, and for my part, I'm baking a bunch of fingery desserty foods.  Yesterday's tasks were primarily candy-related.  I purchased all my ridiculous candy-making ingredients (including a $10 vial of cinnamon oil...and the recipe called for 2-4 drops...this is dedication, people) and set to work.

My first recipe was cinnamon hard candy.  After reading about 4 candy recipes, I felt prepared enough to begin the endeavor.  It is important to note that one recipe said to refrain from directly sniffing the mixture once the cinnamon oil is added as it can permanently alter your nasal passages.  Noted.  So I continued.  Tralalalala.  After carefully adding the cinnamon oil, and being especially careful not to get any on my fingers (that would be a travesty!!!), I began to stir away (per one recipe's detailed instructions).  Being the conscientious cook that I am, I wanted to make sure the bright crimson mixture was cinnamony enough, so I decided that I would take a quick sniff.  I leaned my face over the steaming hot pan and inhaled a gust of the most spicy smelling fragrance this side of Mars.  I immediately began screaming, (seriously, not an exaggeration...hubz can attest to this) coughing, and generally throwing a fit due to the intense burning sensation that was streaming through my nose, mouth, and throat.  I honestly thought death was imminent.  Hubz, being the kind soux chef that he is, yelled from the other room, "Run cold water over your fingers and stick them up your nose!"  So I did.  People, I was desperate.  And it helped.  Hubz to the rescue!  My smelling is, I think, back to normal.  Unfortunately, the cinnamon hardy candy paid the price.  Some pieces are quite mild and taste more like a Pizza Hut mint while other pieces will make you want to pull your hair out.  So you win some and you lose some.  Lesson learned:  avoid sniffing substances with cinnamon oil (or just follow the directions.......).

My right index finger was burned whilst making fudge.  Much less exciting story.  It just happened.  Womp womp.

And as far as my right groin muscle goes...I have no idea.  All I know is that after making all my goodies, I felt like a small child was stabbing my upper thigh with an ice pick.  Alas, today it only feels like said small child is using a blunt screw driver, so it could be worse.

Allow me to end this post with a recipe that reaches back generations (actually, I have no idea how old it is....I just got it from my mom and adapted it).

Bierrocks!!!!
Filling:
2 pounds hamburger
1/2 cup chopped onion (use a food processor!!)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups shredded cabbage (I loathe cabbage, so I use a food processor to shred that sucker up)
2 Tbsp. mustard (I also loathe mustard, but it truly adds good flavor)
Sharp cheddar cheese - 2 cupsish

Brown hamburger.  Add onions, salt and pepper, and cabbage (after using a food processor to chop/mince them first).  Add mustard and 1/2 cup water.  Simmer 20 minutes or until cabbage is done.  Add cheese and mix well.  Cool.

Dough:
2 packages yeast
2 cups milk (2 cups warm/hot water (150 degrees) plus 1/2 cup powdered milk)
1 stick margarine
6 1/2-7 cups white whole wheat flour (this gives it a nice grainy consistency)
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 tsp. salt

Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water with 1 Tbsp. sugar.  To milk mixture add remaining milk, margarine, salt, and remaining sugar.  Cool to lukewarm.  Add eggs.  Stir in flour to form soft dough.  Let rise.  Roll out and cut into 4 inch squares.  Fill with hamburger/cabbage mixture.  Bring corners together and pinch together.  Place on greased cookie sheets with folded sides to bottom.  Let rise about 40 minutes.  Bake at 374 degrees for 20 minutes. 

Happy cooking and may you successfully avoid any kitchen casualties this holiday season.


No comments:

Post a Comment