December 20, 2012

Break!

Today officially begins my Christmas break.  And I'm truly thankful.  For so many things.

Thankful for a job where I get paid to love on teenagers.  How bizarre is that!?

Thankful for my crazy students.  One kid, who is nearly always a behavior problem, gave me a priceless glimpse into his heart yesterday.  I was working with him on a reading final and he regularly paused to strike up conversation with me.  (He really struggles with focusing, so I wasn't at all surprised that he had something to say every 5 minutes.)  I've been praying for this young man lately.  Praying that I will begin to see him as an individual and not just a behavior problem.  And the Lord is faithful, as always.  I saw this young man's heart.  I listened as he explained his sadness toward the people in Connecticut and his anger toward the shooter.  Later, he told me how excited he is that his doctor gave him the go-ahead to increase his meds (which, in turn, will help him focus more and be less of a behavior issue for teachers).  In that hour and 45 minutes, he was no longer a "behavior issue."  Instead, he was transformed into a maturing young man who just wants to be heard.  And heard him, I did.  I'm sure he and I will still get into it after break and I'm sure I'll still want to pull my hair out after working with him on occasion, but I sincerely hope that I will remind myself of the human that I was able to see yesterday.

Thankful for my co-workers.  I've received so many Christmas cards and treats in the past week.  Even though I don't always see eye-to-eye with my colleagues, I'm thankful they are in my life.  They make the rough days bearable.

Thankful for my superiors.  Not trying to kiss any behinds here (because let's face it, they are definitely not reading this), but I report to an amazing principal.  It is evident he loves his kids and evident that he wants his staff to be successful. 

Thankful for my "new" job.  I'm a semester into teaching special education, so it's hardly "new" anymore.  About once a week, I pause in awe of the Lord's faithfulness and supreme provision.  Even a year ago I wouldn't have thought that the SPED world would be for me.  Mid-February is when the ball first started rolling.  I love working one-on-one with students who legitimately need my assistance.  I love working in a co-teaching environment.  And I even love the paperwork.  I'm notoriously bad at planning my life, so I suppose it shouldn't have shocked me much that my initial plan didn't work out.  Again, God is faithful.

So I begin my time away from the kiddos today.  I'm sure I'll miss them, but after teaching for only a short 2 1/2 years, I've learned that breaks are good for us all.  My 5th hour will have to wait until after break to hear my sweet recorder tunes, but I'm sure they won't be too bummed.  Happy snow day to those of you who are enjoying the perks of the education realm!

PS - did ya notice anything different about my blog?  A friend who used to teach at my high school did a bang-up job, don't ya think?  Thanks, Ashley!  I love it!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment