July 12, 2013

Ladies of Topeka!!

***If you love information as much as I do, read this whole post.  If you just want the deets, read only what is in blue. Just looking out for my skimming friends. :) ***

About a month ago, I was given a vision of something I need to start.  My close friends know me to have many life revelations, which is all good and fun, but my "visions" are few and far between.  And most of the time, I don't share them with anyone due to fear of any number of things.  I've wrestled with this one.  To many, it might not be a big deal to throw it out there, but to me, it feels risky.  Here we go...

I've learned quite a bit about prayer over the past 6 months.  Golly, people, prayer is powerful.  I mean, blow your mind, cross your eyes, stop your heart, pull out your hair powerful.  And I've learned that I don't pray with people enough.  Sure, I pray for people all the time, but making a conscious effort to gather with others just to pray has not exactly been a priority for years.  Let me back up.

In middle school, one of my youth pastors met with a small group of students every Monday morning at Daylight Donuts for prayer time (tweens, donuts, early morning.....bless him).  Sure there was probably more giggling and general adolescent shenanigans than actual prayer, but for a handful of tweens, I'd say it was pretty focused.  Then in high school, I joined a prayer group that gathered once a week in a corner of the school to pray.  It was a larger group of kiddos (still only about 8-10) and was definitely more focused.  Throughout college I participated off and on with various groups that gathered to share and pray (and occasionally dare....get it Tabor folks?).  ALL these times were meaningful and full of growth.  Since college, however, I haven't been part of or tried to establish a group that meets solely to pray.

For the past year or so, my heart has been aching to gather with women and just pray.  Daniel hears everything on my heart.  He's a fantastic sounding board and the best listener of all time, but there's just something about women gathering to share and pray.  Truth.   Pray for each other, pray for our families, pray for our workplaces, pray for our neighborhoods, pray for our city.  Just pray.

So I've been wanting to start a prayer group, but over the past year, I've come up with the following excuses:
-I may be a morning person, but few people are, so no one would show up in the morning.
-Afternoons/evenings are full and I'm tired, so I wouldn't mentally be present.
-No one would be interested.  Then I would feel lame.
-I don't want to host because then I always have to be there.  hahaha
-What if no one shares anything and it becomes a place to share about our neighbor's aunt and our brother's dog?  (Let it be known that I know that God cares about and hears every request, but, come on people, we've all been in communities where those are the types of requests shared.  Not awesome.)

.....but about a month ago, I realized that enough is enough.  I need to be part of a group that gathers to pray.  Like, I legit need this.  I told Daniel of my vision and he said, "Yes.  You should definitely do this."  So here we go...

Ladies of Topeka, listen up.  Beginning on the Thursday after Labor Day (Thursday, September 5) at 6:30 AM, you are invited to the Carlson Casa for prayer time.  We'll meet every Thursday, same time, same place.  I'll provide coffee, hot tea, and a place.  You provide yourself.  

(Sweaty-palmed as I write this.....see the excuses above.) 

I'll need to run out the door right at 7:15, but you're welcome to stick around (my home is your home!).  Gals, this is going to happen through the whole school year, so come as often as you can, and stay as long as you can.  If you know there is no way you're showing up anywhere at 6:30 AM, then come at 7!  Or come once a month.  Depending on the size any given week, I imagine we'll split up into groups of 3-4 and scatter around the house to pray.  Nervous because you might not know anyone?  Just take it all in for a few weeks.  Or, better yet, bring a friend!!  Your friends are my friends. :) Not willing to share what's really on your heart at first?  Totes fine.  I'm pumped about getting down and dirty and praying with you all.  So just come.  Your heart will most definitely be filled.  This I know. 

So looking forward to praying with you.

And seriously believing in this: "For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them." - Matthew 18:20

Holler at me with questions!

2 comments:

  1. wish I lived in Topeka. love this. way to step out in faith. sweaty palms and all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wish i lived in Topeka too! you are such a beautiful woman Heidi-inside and out! i am so blessed to call you my friend!

    ReplyDelete