June 11, 2012

Top 10 Kansas Experiences

Today's post begins a series that will likely last at least 3 years (because (1) I am forgetful and (2) I'm sure I'll be struggling to think of memorable experiences outside of my beloved hometown).  There are 10 memories every Kansan should make, according to me.  And I should know....I've lived in Kansas for decades. 

The first experience every Kansan should have is the Symphony in the Flint Hills.  If you've never heard of such an event, take a minute to hop over the link above.  I first heard of the event 2 or 3 years ago, and as soon as I looked into it further, I knew I needed to experience such an event.

Thankfully, my parents experienced it last year and decided it was too good to pass up again.  So mom logged onto the interwebs late one evening in March.  (Tickets sell FAST.)  She purchased 4 tickets and I eagerly counted down the days until June 9 arrived.

What follows are pictures from my phone, so don't expect anything too magical.  It'll just give you a taste of the gloriousness that is the Symphony in the Flint Hills.
If you've seen The Hunger Games, you can't say this doesn't look like the cornucopia.  Yes, there were times I sniped a glance behind me to make sure no one was about to attack.

 Authentic covered wagon rides.  Very bumpy, but quite breezy as well.





 A little treat for the concert.  And stripes all around.  What a perfect moment.
 Super-hubs!  It was ridiculously helpful having a bright pink chair in the sea of 7,000 dark-colored camping chairs.
Post-concert harmonica player.

A good time was had by all.  So check it out.  It was such a lovely event.

Do you have any Kansas experiences that must make my top-10?  Holler so I can (1) experience them for myself and (2) tell others about them.

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. the fireworks in Atchison for the Amelia Earhart days are amazing!!! wamegos 4th of July parade and firweworks are awesome too!

    ReplyDelete